History of Chews UMC:
|On March 10, 1811, a small group of men met for the purpose of forming a church. They were prompted by their faith in God and a faith in the future of Hillmanton for the use of the Methodist Episcopal Society. They declared their belief with the following statement:|
"That that preaching of the Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ is calculated to promote the happiness of the human family in the world, and secure to those who receive it, a crown of everlasting life."
This was the beginning of our church.
The cornerstone for the first church building was placed in April 22, 1811. By March 12, 1844, Christ Methodist Episcopal Church was changed to Union Methodist Church. Our second building was dedicated on July 26, 1949 and was now known as Chews Landing Methodist Episcopal Church.
This second building was replaced by our third building that was dedicated on November 28, 1978. The year 1912 marked the 100th Anniversary of our church and the completion of a new church building.
With the 1939 merger of the Methodist Episcopal Church, the Methodist Episcopal Church and the Methodist Protestant Church, our church became known as Chews Methodist Church.
The fourth building underwent two additions. The first was in 1952 and the second addition was dedicated on March 9, 1958. Construction of our present sanctuary began in 1967 with the dedication taking place on March 31, 1968. The following month, our church became known as Chews United Methodist Church as a result of the merger of the Methodist Church and the Evangelical United Brethren Church on April 23, 1968.
In 1982, the old sanctuary was torn down except for the foundation upon which our education building now stands. On Oct. 22, 1989, this new facility was dedicated.
-History compiled by Rev. Robert W. Ralph for 185th anniversary.